Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Another Jab at Dimwitted White Guys

I know a lot of dimwitted white guys, and probably am presumed to be one by some folks, but seems me and my mentally deficient tribe have become safe targets for (attempts at) humor.

Sort of like the Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies. (Who's gonna complain? And if they do, who's gonna listen?)

Just as the monster movies of the 1950's reflected anxieties rooted in post-war uncertainty and xenophobia, so this reveals a creeping comfort with self-assertion by marginalized classes; notice that in this commercial both race and gender are referenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-Y-zSd5gs&feature=player_embedded

Now before you assume there's an angry subtext here, rest assured I think it's all good, just a shame that it generalizes at the expense of others.  (That's just the nature of humor, I know, but it unfortunately includes those that applaud the change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment