Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Didn't Realize I Was Watching History Being Made

c0 Johnny Carson The Tonight ShowI used to watch Carson[1] when I was teen. Not always all of it, in fact, usually just the monologue; but if there was someone interesting scheduled, I'd stay up and watch the whole thing. I watched live broadcasts of people that most folks living today only see in reruns, or don't see at all, or more sadly, are unaware of.[2]

I didn't realize I was watching history being made. We rarely do at the time.

Like this: I watched Orel Hershiser sing the Doxology on Carson and Johnny was so touched, he included it among the best segments on his show when he did a retrospective before retirement. I don't think you'll find Hershiser singing it on Youtube, I looked for it, but I've embedded the music for you below; it's very short. I sang it every Sunday in church as a child. It's a staple in many churches; it's usually sung acapella.

It used to be acceptable (even admired) to be a publicly Christian athlete, and you could simultaneously do needlepoint or drink beer.

Miller Lite, 1975 12 28, Rosey Grier and friends:

In my youth, famous Christian athletes were the likes of George Foreman, Rosey Grier, and Terry Bradshaw. Today Tim Tebow is filling a similar role, though he's taken it to the field and that is inviting some interesting parody and unkind criticism.

Most interesting to me is that these men didn't just choose to be spiritual (that is still okay most of the time), but chose to associate themselves with a particular spiritual leader.

_tmp_amn_pic_33_47_0

[1]
If you're a lot younger than me, you may not know that Johnny Carson was so closely associated with The Tonight Show, viewers and show people alike often just called the show "Carson." Neither Leno nor Letterman (or any late night host) come close to the iconic status (and viewers) Johnny Carson had.

[2]
c0 David BrennerI saw Jimmy Stewart reading his own poetry; I saw George Burns tell a masturbation joke (he wore gloves); I watched countless standups that became rock star comedians and many that fizzled and disappeared, and some that where somebody for some time, and are now forgotten by most, but not by me, like David Brenner. Thank you, David, for the laughs and memories.


_tmp_amn_pic_33_47_0

Started: 1/10/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment