Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mace Electronics in Erie, PA

c0 Mace Electronics logo. Mace Electronics was an electronics superstore in Erie, PA and the surrounding area in the 1970s.
Click to enlarge: Mace Electronics logo. Mace Electronics was an electronics superstore in Erie, PA and the surrounding area in the 60s, 70s and early 80s.
Mace Electronics had a number of locations in the Erie area when I was growing up, one I could ride to on my bike (8th Street), and I was there most every weekend with best friend Rich Nickel, eyes made wide as saucers by electronics we couldn't afford.

Mace was nothing like a Best Buy today, where you're limited mostly to big screen TVs, computers, iWhatevers and cell phones. In my day you had wall-to-wall cassette tape decks, 8-track tape players, turntables, amplifiers, speakers, radios, CBs, radio controlled toys, calculators, and early computers. (You usually went to a department store for a TV)

We liked taking things apart and eventually made our own speakers out of antique parts and trips to Radio Shack. In those days, speakers were an art form, enormous, earsplitting, and a status symbol.

 

c0



c0 Mace Electronics Grand Opening ad from 1968
Click to enlarge: Mace Electronics Grand Opening ad from 1968

Mace held an annual "Mace Spectacular" at the Erie County Fieldhouse, normally a concert venue. I attended and bought a few blank cassettes. It was basically a trade show run by a retailer. They were on the right track. Had they been growing that fast today, they'd no doubt have been online and been Erie's version of JandR.com.

There's a great website called OldTimeErie (>) that collects nostalgic recollections like this, including a flier for the 1982 Mace Spectacular (>).


 

c0



c0 Cheap Trick circa 1980
Click to enlarge: Cheap Trick circa 1980

I saw Cheap Trick, Boston, Krokus, and Saxon play at the Erie County Fieldhouse. I don't think it's a venue for rock 'n roll anymore.[1]


I once bought a Technics turntable at the 8th Street Mace, $60, plus $30 more for a good needle and cartridge. Mace had a sign up that said "Free Assembly," so I asked one of the older Mace
guys to assemble it. He huffed through the assembly like I was imposing. I think he thought I was being a smart-aleck kid, but I never owned a fancy turntable before and I thought it would be a good idea to have an expert show me how to do it.

He was rough and rude and taught me a lesson: Electronics store people don't know any more about electronics than I do, usually less, and they don't want to be my friend, they just want my business.

[2013-02-13]

c0

[1]
I came home from those concerts reeking of smoke and having consumed more pot in one night than most hippies do in a year, but I never smoked a joint in my life. That's the God-honest truth.

c0

2 comments:

  1. If you are confused to pick the right portable cooler for you then check out the tips for portable coolers. If you don't have any information or knowledge about portable ice cooler then it will also clear. Here you will get the brand comparison of portable ice cooler as well as reviews on it. For more information check out the below points on portable coolers:
    Tips for portable cooler
    Top 2 portable ice cooler
    Leopard outdoor vs freddie and sebbie portable ice chest
    Portable cooler
    List of best portable ice cooler
    Best 3 portable ice cooler reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spam on a 2013 post? Well, glad you were here.

    ReplyDelete