Saturday, January 26, 2013

Icom IC-R6 v. Uniden Bearcat BC125AT (Jing, do you have your ears on?)

c0 Icom IC-R6 (L) and Uniden Bearcat BC125AT (R)I might get the missus' blessing on a new radio. I really want a CB in the car for information on road conditions. There've been too many times I've gotten stuck in a mess I could have avoided if I'd been listening to the right conversations.

I don't have any desire to talk on the CB right now, just monitor.[1] Better CBs will scan CB channels, but a good scanner would do that plus many other bands.[2]

So off to scanner land I went, where I narrowed the candidates down to the Icom IC-R6 and the Uniden Bearcat BC125AT.

I compared features I wanted or needed and weighted them.

The results look like this:

_tmp_amn_pic_72_22_0


The Icom IC-R6 runs no cheaper than $186 before shipping
), and the Bearcat BC125AT is at $121 (as of today, and with free shipping at Amazon).

No one radio would do it all, but in this case, if the Icom was bundled with the software and programming cable, I'd probably bite even at the higher price. But it doesn't. I could pirate the software, but I don't want to do that, so the software and cable would add another $100 the Icom.

And when it comes down to what I really want this for, I have to go with practical and easy over fun and cool.

c0

c0 Tecsun PL-398 DSP Digital AM/FM/LW Shortwave RadioOf course, I still need a decent travel radio (clock, alarm, great AM). The Tecsun PL-390 has gotten good reviews (most recently over at Herculodge ), especially for AM performance, and I may someday get it.
 
Right now I travel with a Grundig G8, which I’m not happy with. AM is crummy and navigating frequencies, time, alarms, etc is a pain the butt. Radio Shack had it for $29 about a year ago and I couldn't resist. But it was worth $29, especially since I've carried it half way 'round the world and back and knocked it around pretty good,
and it still works.

c0
 


[1]
c0 Wouxun KG-UVD1PHams are more respectful and if I'm talking I'd rather be on those frequencies. My rig setup is simple, a Wouxun KG-UVD1P 
and Tram mag mount 2m/70cm antenna. (Does the job for someone who loves radio more than he uses it.)



[2]
c0 my first 2-way radio was a Lafayette 23-channel CB that looked a lot like this.Cell phones relegated CBs to truckers and hobbyists years ago, which is okay; there's actually been a renewed
interest in CB lately, and some fun (and illegal) mods to get more power and distance on HF frequencies. If you can tolerate the potty talk, it's an inexpensive and unlicensed entry into 2-way radio. Happens to have been mine; I fell in love with a 23-channel Lafayette when I was a boy of 12.

c0
 
Started
: 2012-01-22

No comments:

Post a Comment