Friday, September 16, 2011

Bad (Weather) Chart

This is the weather chart for Thursday September 9 from the website of a local radio station, WOOD 1300 http://www.woodradio.com/pages/grr_weather_5day.html :

Click for Larger

  • 60% AM what? Rain? There are no rain drops. This time of year with overnight lows in the 30's, it could just as well mean snow.
  • What do the clouds mean? They are obviously variations on a  theme, stretched or smooshed by Photoshop to imply more or less cloud cover, but why the extensive variation? I have no idea what two clouds mean Friday and one cloud slightly thicker means for Saturday. Does Sunday start partly cloudy and get cloudier? Is Monday cloudy all day? How is Tuesday different from either of them?
  • And finally, why do two forecasts from the same weather team look so different and contain different data? Storm Team 8 is also the team behind WOOD TV8. Their chart for the same day is very different http://www.woodtv.com/subindex/weather :


Click for Larger
I do like most of the personalities behind Storm Team 8, especially Bill Steffen. And I wish I got paid to be right half the time. I'd even share half my salary with someone who is right the other half of the time.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.[1]

[1]
Thank you, Mr Veith, my 5th Grade math teacher at Vernondale Elementary School at 1432 Wilkins Road, Erie, PA, who was still alive but frail a number of years ago when I encountered him at the annual Millcreek 4th of July Parade. I'm sure he is gone now. He didn't remember me. 

He had this posted on his wall, along with the clock aphorism, a couple generations before such usage would be common in tween vocabulary:







No comments:

Post a Comment