Sunday, October 30, 2011

10/29 NPR Interview with William Peter Blatty

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/29/141683620/after-40-years-grisly-exorcist-book-gets-a-rewrite

As a child, I placed Blatty in the same category as Darwin - Satanic agents doing their best to pervert the plan of God.

"Satan must really be in his glory," said Mrs. Andrus frequently, wife of Pastor Ken Andrus, when us kids at Bethel Christian School would express a fascination with darker subjects, the assumption being we had been derailed from our spiritual path and Satan was watching and taking great pleasure in it.

I remember physically cringing as I pulled Origin of Species off the shelf and looked at Darwin eye to eye; this was on a weekly field trip to Erie's largest library downtown. Bethel was too small to have its own library at the time and once a week we went there to check out books.

As a matter of fact, however, Blatty wrote The Exorcist as an expression of faith, and its success was a complete surprise to him.

Reviews on Amazon portray Blatty a literary talent of some measure; I think I will read him if I get a chance, or listen to his books being read, as I do most books now.

No comments:

Post a Comment