Thursday, August 4, 2011

Disrespect, Neglect, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

One day as a kid, I stopped my bicycle to watch an Erie Times News guy park his car in a neighbor's driveway and walk up to their door. I don't know why I stopped. I suppose he had some business there, collecting an overdue paper bill or something, and the newspaper logo on the car caught my attention. Few cars in those days had logos on them except ones belonging to large companies and government agencies. He looked very official.

I stood astride my bicycle, drawn to a small American flag affixed to his car antenna; it was so ragged, there was only a couple frayed inches left; most of it had long since been tugged away by the wind and scattered in traffic.

I said "Hey Mister, your flag is kinda worn out." He said "So are the hostages" and kept walking.

He was referring to the Americans held hostage at the American Embassy during the Iran Hostage Crisis.

I suppose if you're going to make excuses for dishonoring something, a patriotic excuse is better than most.

Around the same time, I saw a shirtless long-haired hippy at a downtown concert on Perry Square[1] who used a small American flag to patch the crotch in his jeans.

The two men had more in common than they'd probably care to admit.

[1] On State Street in Erie, PA. This was during We Love Erie Days. I would ride my bike downtown, since I was too young to drive, go to the main library, then watch the older kids smoke dope and dance to local bands. One of the bands was called Live Wire, they did ZZ Top covers. I'm amazed how often I did this and survived unscathed, though if you know me, you know some countercultural  DNA was definitely shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment