Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wouxun KG-UVD1-P Mobile Ham dual-bander in my RAV4

c0: Wouxun KG-UVD1P with heavy-duty speaker-mic on a Bracketron UCH-101-BL Universal Cup-iT II Mount with Grip-iTSo far this is working well for me (receiving, haven’t made a QSO yet): Wouxun KG-UVD1P with heavy-duty speaker-mic on a Bracketron UCH-101-BL Universal Cup-iT II Mount and Tram 1199 glass mount antenna.

(Respectable Wouxun KG-UVD1P reviews at eHam.net _tmp_amn_pic_32_0_2)

I brought the Wouxun KG-UVD1P back from a family trip to China. This model is able to broadcast on anything it receives (except FM), which is of course not type-approved by the FCC, but it is not illegal to possess it so long as you don't broadcast outside bands you're licensed to operate on. I think I’m more conscientious than the average Tech and careful to understand my radio and my privileges, but many ham techs probably don't. (I’ll be playing with some programming soon; I don’t have a programming cable yet.)

I heard glass mounts can have trouble if applied to after-factory tinted windows, but my windows are factory tinted and I can't detect a problem. Granted, I haven't compared with a magnetic mount, but reception is good for five miles or so from a source once I acquire it, which seems good for an inexpensive glass mount.

This what I what I've got set up:

c0: Bracketron UCH-101-BL Universal Cup-iT II Mount with Grip-iTBracketron UCH-101-BL Universal Cup-iT II Mount with Grip-iT
http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-UCH-101-BL-Universal-Mount-Grip/dp/B001UGMTKC _tmp_amn_pic_32_0_2

 

 

c0 Closeup of Bracketron UCH-101-BL in RAV4 driver's side cup holderThe RAV4 cup holders adjust to a very large size; this particular Bracketron mount is big enough to fill it, but just barely. If you are shopping around, read the reviews; many cup mounts get bad ones. This is a good one.

Only issue I have now is that I've used up one of two cup holders and the RAV4 only has 3, with one in the back of the armrest / console.

c0 Tram 1199 Glass Mount All-Band Scanner AntennaTram 1199 Glass Mount All-Band Scanner Antenna
http://www.amazon.com/Tram-TRAM-1199-All-Band-Scanner/dp/B001DN1L6K _tmp_amn_pic_32_0_2

(I initially installed the TRAM for a Radio Shack Pro-62 Mobile Scanner, model 200-0560 in the cup holder pictured above, but haven't been as successful pulling in signals. I've spent a little time with the scanner and manual. More later.)

 

c0 Tram 1199 Glass Mount All-Band Scanner Antenna on RAV4So far (2+ weeks) it's been rock solid, hasn't budged. Reviews give it great reports even through car washes and bad weather; Tram's glass mount 2-meter ham antenna doesn't get as good reviews, I suspect because hams have pretty high expectations, whereas the Tram 1199 is for scanners and probably used mostly by occasional hobbyists; just guessing.

c0 Tram 1199 Glass Mount All-Band Scanner Antenna on RAV4(The Tram 1199 is an all-band antenna (30-3000MHz, so noted on the packaging) and it isn't tunable; if anyone has a suggestion for a 2m/70cm tuned glass mount antenna that they recommend, I'd be interested. I can run the coax alongside the Tram's. Would like to get more mileage on the open road.)

I wish my dad was here to see it. He wasn't a ham, but he would have shared my enthusiasm.

Any reflective hams out there that are equally passionate about writing and radio? Strange combination. I’m the only one I know.

_tmp_amn_pic_32_0_3

Started: 2012-03-13

No comments:

Post a Comment