Monday, August 1, 2016

New Michael Crichton Novel Due out May 2017


Michael Crichton speaking at Harvard in 2002. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MichaelCrichton_2.jpg. License: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

The new novel centers on the rivalry between two early paleontologists, Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh. I listened to a lecture on these two and it was more interesting than you might expect.

I’m guessing, as with Pirate Latitudes and Micro, Crichton may not have considered Dragon Teeth to be his best work. But I'm eager to read it in any case.

Crichton is one of the few writers I will read slowly, deliberately, as though to school children. You only get one chance to read a book for the first time. Others in that category for me are Truman Capote, William Peter Blatty, and Kurt Vonnegut.

I’m still hoping that the lost chapters to Capote’s Answered Prayers will be found, but despite Capote’s claims, I’m not so sure they even exist. Unlike Crichton, Capote was known to destroy manuscripts he was unhappy with.



[2016.07.31]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment