Sunday, May 27, 2012

"The science of the soul makes me want to vomit."


c0 This is Mr Yuk. Mr Yuk was a campaign started in the 1960s to warn children against poisons in the home. He came home from schools on a sheet of stickers and was applied near cleansers and other dangerous chemicals.I heard those words on a progressive radio show sometime during the morning of Sunday May 20. I don't want to look up the schedule because I'd prefer not to put a name with the host that said it or learn if he's local or syndicated.

I'm realizing ever more clearly how angry some atheists are.

My issue is not with the opinion, but the hostility, which is probably rooted in a painful encounter with religion and religious people.

Most of us carry angry baggage of some sort. We've developed special words for some angers - such as misanthrope, misogynist - or we say something "left a bad taste in our mouth" if that thing has ruined an experience some others still enjoy it.

But just because the bad taste in our mouths was left by religion doesn't mean we can use that as an excuse for angry pontification.

To the man on the radio: I was once an angry Christian. Perhaps even angrier than you. I still have my moments. Time will likely soften your perspective until you can discuss the "science of the soul" in the same manner you might discuss the science of art or language or any other human expression.

Besides that, it's distracting. Anger doesn't cure ignorance.

_tmp_amn_pic_86_0_0

Started: 2012-05-20

No comments:

Post a Comment