Saturday, May 12, 2012

Another True Ghost Story

c0 Casio G-Shock DW-5600EI told the story _tmp_amn_pic_46_9_3some time back  about the grandfather clock in my Uncle Ken's house[1] that tolled when my Grandpa Cairns died. The clock hadn't worked for years despite repairs, and didn't work after. It turned out that the clock tolled at the same time Grandpa passed away. Could be a coincidence. I know the facts to be true.

Now a new story:

c0_Thomas_G_CairnsI have my dad's watch. It's a digital Casio G-Shock DW-5600E, the one pictured above. Not long ago, the alarm went off at night. I asked Mom what the alarm might have been for. She said Dad never used the alarm. The watch was in another room and it stopped by the time I got to it. Hasn't gone off since.

c0_Charles_W_Cairns_2011-11-27There are many explanations for what I heard - wasn't the watch at all; was a neighbor's alarm (it was an unusually warm night for early spring, windows were open and sound travels) ; Dad actually did set the alarm and Mom just didn't know; was a different sound in the house I hadn’t paid attention to before; etc.

Even so, I want to believe, just as I want to believe in extraterrestrials and cryptozoological beasties.

I'm a skeptic, but I'm in love with possibility. More on that later.

This is he flag that was on my Dad's casket. It's now on top of the Amish pie safe in Mom's house, my boyhood home. Left to right, the children are my daughter Dee Dee, my nephew Gage, and my son Charlie. There are a number of rustic Colonial items in the house like the painted wooden flag on the wall.

c0 Flag of my father
_tmp_amn_pic_68_1_4

[1]
At that time, Pollock Road in Holly, Michigan. That would have been my uncle, Ken Cairns, his wife Dorothy, and their children Carolee, Dee Dee and Tom Tom. Everyone of course has long since grown and moved away and that house belongs to a new family. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did as a child. For a few years it was the focus of summer vacations and a few holidays.

_tmp_amn_pic_68_1_4
Started: 2012-05-08

No comments:

Post a Comment