Wednesday, June 26, 2013

They can't bust you for seeds, man.

c0 Marijuana seeds.
Click to enlarge: Marijuana seeds.

"They can't bust you for seeds, man."
--Overheard on the school bus one morning on the way to McDowell High School, late 70's. The speaker was a boyhood friend that had gone down a different path than I did; he was in a crowd that proudly referred to themselves as "dirt bags." He's an attorney now, I think. I'm a writer. Go figger.

[2013-04-11
]

c0


c0 Loblaws logo, very similar to the one in use when I worked for the company in the early 80's.
c0 Loblaws ad from We Love Erie Days
Click to enlarge: Top: Loblaws logo, very similar to the one in use when I worked for the company in the early 80's. The nested arcs were adopted about that time, IIRC, so even though it's retro now, I recall it as new. Bottom: Loblaws ad from We Love Erie Days, which I truly loved as a child. It was a week of feel-good self-affirmation in a city that didn't do much of that the rest of the year. This ad is from oldtimeerie.com >

My family was very private about money. Most families are. As a boy, I never knew what my dad made, and Mom said a number of times she never knew what her dad made, and I've kept that practice in my own home.

But for a few years, my dad and I worked for the same company, and I saw his position posted on the bulletin board for an opening at another Loblaws store. (He was a grocery manager.)

I felt like I had violated him somehow, and the feeling was palpably and indelibly uncomfortable.

Loblaws grocery managers I worked for included: Ralph Suscheck, Bruce Carpenter, Earl Rosenquist, and Earl Boyd. There were others, but those are the ones I remember.

[2013-03-24]


 

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment