Saturday, June 15, 2013

When the night has been chilly but the day is already warming.

c0 Hand-forged tools against an old fireplace. Not mine, I just thought they were pretty.Writers don't see themselves as living and dying in quite the same way, say, as someone who stocks grocery shelves for a living (which I did for many years).

Most people view their job as just a living that comes to an end when the end of everything else is closer than the beginning and we are too weak and tired to go on. What they do every day to earn a paycheck gets undone or discarded, revised or recycled.

Creative people like to think their work will survive them, whether it's words or a wrought iron poker that stands next to a fireplace generation after generation.

When you do something to last, you do it differently.

[2013-06-12]

c0



c0 Breeze through a window. Not mine, I just thought it was pretty.The time I spend writing is the most personally satisfying time in a day; just the physical act of putting my fingers on the keyboard is like opening the windows on an early summer morning when the night has been chilly but the day is already warming.

[2013-04-01]

c0

I don't know about other writers, but I like re-reading my own work and am sometimes surprised and delighted (that's an inside joke).

[2013-06-11]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment