Tuesday, December 27, 2011

From my fireplace to yours...

I had a tough time this year. It was among the busiest, most stressful that I can recall in a long time, and my mind the most fragile and least able to fend against the constant onslaught of frenetic inanity.

The fog lifted at about 4pm Christmas Day when a very good Christmas ham was in the oven, all the gifts were open and assembled, and I was drinking a cup of tea and realizing, now, a quieter, more peaceful season was descending.

c0_WinTV_Yule_LogSome TV channels broadcast a Yule Log over night on Christmas Eve. A couple years ago, WGN did the Yule Log with Old Time Radio, which I have somewhere on DVD but have squirreled away where I can't find it right now. But WXMI Cable 295 did it this year accompanied by music, which turned out to be a softer, tranquil collection uncluttered with ads or rock'n'roll or hip-hop or cutesy kids yearning for front teeth or hippopotami.

I recorded it, if you'd like to have it:

Two hours from Christmas Eve WXMI-DT Cable 295 (Antenna TV)[1]
Yule_Log_WXMI_Antenna_TV_2011-12-25_0030.zip
Yule_Log_WXMI_Antenna_TV_2011-12-25_0040.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?lloll5l49oc52

You know what else Antenna TV did? Something that TV Land used to do back in the old days when they were truly retro and did "Merrythons": They played hours of classic Christmas sitcom TV - Hazel, Dennis the Menace, George Burns and Gracie Allen - and they cut in delightful little flashes from previous and upcoming holiday programming (you'll see a block at the end of the 2nd Yule Log). The only thing I would have asked more of was holiday movies, perhaps a block of old royalty-free versions of A Christmas Carol.

My Christmas is stretching out over week this year, as I have company coming, and I am enjoying keeping the spirit a little longer, and a few presents still under the tree, now that for most everyone else it's reduced to so much crumpled paper and bows and day-after shopping.

[1]

.ts files will play with any good media player. See my page on combining and playing.


_tmp_amn_pic_90_27_0

1 comment:

  1. Well I am glad you got through Christmas. Next year will be fresh and new with new memories. Some good some not. But you will still be holding strong. From our family to yours, LOVE.

    ReplyDelete