Saturday, October 20, 2012

A 7th Grade Memory: Calories


1
A 7th Grade Memory: Calories

c0 This building held both Bethel Bethel Baptist Church and Bethel Christian School back in the 70s. It resided at 737 E. 26th Street in Erie, PA. The building is still there but it has a different address. I think 737 belonged to the parsonage, which has since been torn down.In 7th grade science class at Bethel Christian School (back when it was at 737 E. 26th Street in Erie, PA) , we were studying nutrition in Mr Rodney Blystone's class. Calories were being discussed that day.

I was confused. I raised my hand and asked, "Since no one likes calories, why don't we just take them out?"

A classmate enlightened me in front of the others.[1] But I still didn't understand at the end of the hour. If calories are something "in" something else, why we can't just take them out?

I did understand the concept of attributes and qualities, so it wasn't incomprehensible to me.

I think perhaps because that era saw the beginning of low-calorie, reduced-fat, fat-free etc, I presumed there was a process for removing the offending attributes rather than creating the product without them in the first place.

It's not the only time my sensitivity to word formation has incorrectly informed my understanding. It can be a little embarrassing.

[2012-10-12]

2
Life

c0 Mathuran BuddhaDoes "life" have an attribute apart from size, intelligence, self-awareness, etc that adheres to all creatures that possess it?

Is something lost at the death of an insect that is in some way identical to something lost when a human dies?

There is a story told of the Buddha (IIRC) whose enlightenment was sparked by seeing the destruction of a termite hill; he pondered something similar.

[2012-10-19]

3
Overheard

"Well done, though stupid and faithful servant."
--Fr John Riccardo, 2012-10-19, taped broadcast.

[2012-10-19]

c0

[1]
Jerry Beers, whom I found and lost online some years ago and respected a great deal. He became a minister; Wesleyan, I believe. He was a very good storyteller and told me when we reconnected all those years ago that he was known for that still.

Jerry Beers from Bethel Christian School in Erie, PA, if you're still out there, look me up here >

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment