Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Perhaps a little light and airy anyway, if not a marshmallow

c0 Nerd

Well, I don’t know if I feel like a marshmallow floating in hot cocoa, but I do feel a little light and airy, and I could be floating in the pretty clouds JCPenney has on Facebook today.

The “fair and square” slogan is interesting and makes for a good logo and rebrands JCPenney as a place to feel good about spending money. They of course followed it up with home mailings (thick, glossy, expensive - my wife asked if I “bought” it when I pointed it out), emails, etc.

New video on their Youtube channel features a surreal family scene with ukulele music, after which the camera pans up into the clouds, revealing the words “no coupon clipping, no door busting, just great prices from the start”; of course, they waited until after the holiday when they were at the head of the pack with coupons and door busters.

My generation associates “square” with being old-fashioned and out of step. A colleague recently joked with me when I used the word in that fashion; he’s much younger; thank you, Bjorn, for reminding me of my age.

Still and so, I’m under 50 and a lot of folks my age shop at the malls and will make the association. And, if I might add, Bjorn fully understood me, even if there was a generation gap.

Let’s see how long they can keep it up. A complicated pricing structure is endemic within retail (for a lot of psychological and financial reasons, not because everyone likes it that way).

c0 JCPenney facebook

Started: 2011-02-01

No comments:

Post a Comment