Saturday, June 2, 2012

0dds and Ends for National Bubba Day

1
Herr Roehrl's German Class

c0 Clarence Oddbody's 0dds & EndsHerr Roehrl taught German at McDowell Intermediate High School in Erie, PA (or Röhrl, mit dem umlaut, ja?).

I used to argue with a classmate in Herr Roehrl's class about who the toughest tough guy was. He liked John Wayne. I liked Charles Bronson. I used to tell him I thought Charlie Bronson could beat up The Duke, trying to get a reaction out of him. He thought I was retarded[1] and tried to find new ways to ignore me, which was rather difficult as we shared a table only big enough for two.

I liked Herr Roehrl. I think he was a politically passionate man, at times mustering no small measure of restraint. At least, I sensed this. I have to remember that at a time when I was still a sponge absorbing images and sounds, those not too much older than me had been forever altered by the war and all the intense emotions that accompanied it.

(I have faint recollection of his attitude that associates him with the war, but nothing specific I can recall after all these years.)

c0 Saigon falls to the Vietcong in 1975To give you some perspective: Saigon fell to the Vietcong in 1975. I was 12 years old and in 5th Grade. I was in Herr Roehrl's class in 10th grade, only 5 years later. The war was so fresh, you could only talk about it in allegory, as in the TV show M*A*S*H. Everything else was essentially WWII with helicopters. Not until Platoon and Full Metal Jacket was a more truthful and detailed story being told. (I'm not counting The Deerhunter; an interesting film that touched the edges of the conflict, but not much more; it was the only film that could be made at the time).

 

2
My friend and coworker Lanny Curtis
maintains a blog here _tmp_amn_pic_66_56_1.

He's an insightful individual.

 

3
Father's Don't Fare Well in the Days Leading up to Father's Day

c0 dad with pipeMother's (deservedly) get nothing but praise before and on Mother's Day, and everyone (deservedly) is made to feel guilty for not giving them all this attention the rest of the year.

Fathers get sermons in the days leading up to Father's Day. Radio and TV dwell on detached dads and resentful children. The day has become a reminder how fathers more often fail in the role than succeed; we honor them despite their flaws.

Next time you're watching a TV ad involving a couple (any time of year), watch how the man is treated. Husbands and boyfriends of all ages and ethnicities are often portrayed as lazy, unhelpful, stupid, and otherwise unappealing.

The laugh is easy. And it tells you a lot about who is being targeted and what they privately think of gender roles.

Imagine if it were reversed. Even the most egregious TV stereotypes in the 50s and 60s didn't stoop to the subtle condescension we see today.

_tmp_amn_pic_66_54_0
National Bubba Day is June 2nd _tmp_amn_pic_66_56_1

[1]
I think some of you are saying, "He's not the only one."
_tmp_amn_pic_66_60_0
Started: 2012-03-06

No comments:

Post a Comment