Saturday, July 5, 2014

Boston and Cheap Trick are touring together.

Boston and Cheap Trick are touring together >. I saw them both play when I was a kid (separate shows when each was headlining).

Boston's Barry Goudreau (guitar) was so stoned, he just stood in place and bobbed his head. Sib Hashian (drums) toked on a bong between numbers, which I thought was very uncool at the time.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I figured out the only sober rock-n-roller in my record collection was Ted Nugent, and I still like Ted, even if if I'm not crazy about his politics.


c0 Boston then: L-R: Barry Goudreau, Tom Scholz, Sib Hashian, Brad Delp, Fran Sheehan
Boston then: L-R: Barry Goudreau, Tom Scholz, Sib Hashian, Brad Delp, Fran Sheehan


c0 Boston today
Boston today







c0 Cheap Trick then: L-R: Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Tom Petersson, Bun E. Carlos
Cheap Trick then: L-R: Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Tom Petersson, Bun E. Carlos
c0 Cheap Trick today (Bun is suing the band and not touring with them)
Cheap Trick today (Bun is suing the band and not touring with them)




When Cheap Trick came to  the Erie County Fieldhouse, Jon Brant had replaced Tom Petersson. Lead singer Robin Zander was interviewed by a local rock station (K-104 or WJET) and said Brant was mellowing out too much and they wanted to keep a harder edge to their music.They put on a great show and did two encores. This was at the height of their popularity when Live at Budokan was released.

Good friend John Andrews once asked me at a Bethel Baptist Church event what I was listening to then, and when I answered Cheap Trick, he called it "cotton candy for the ears."  

Cheap Trick - Ain't That A Shame (Live At Budokan)




[2014-06-20]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment