Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Unconventional grooming brings unhappy consequences.

c0 Clarence at the Black Rose in Grand Rapids maybe 10 years ago
Clarence at the Black Rose in
Grand Rapids maybe 10 years ago
I’ve worn my hair long for most of my adult life. I cut it for funerals or important trips, but otherwise keep it long.

A former boss once told me (this was a long, long time ago, no one I work with anymore), “I don’t know what you think you’re trying to prove.”

A man standing next to me at the urinals in the office once said, “I thought you were a girl.”

A man in the cafeteria, unable to find his indoor voice, said, “He should get a haircut.”

Someone else thought I was American Indian, which would have made it acceptable to some folks (I’d be very proud to be an American Indian, but I am, alas, Anglo-Saxon).

Today a lady shopping next to me in a big box store followed me with her eyes, even though I never got within a few feet of her. When I passed (at some distance), she took her purse out of her cart and put it over her shoulder.

I’ll wear my hair long anyway.

c0

Q: Why would you do something that invites so much criticism?
A: Of what advantage is it to me or others to enable small-mindedness?

Q: Why do you grow your hair?
A: I don’t know. My toenails are doing it too. How do you get them to stop?

Q: Why do you grow your hair?
A: So children who can’t, might  feel good about themselves. (Locks of Love >)

Q: Why do you grow your hair?
A:






[2014-02-25]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment