Wednesday, September 12, 2012

1800's Tooth Extractor Used by My Great-Great-Grandfather

c0 Detail of a tooth extractor owned by Parker D. Grandy, homeopathist; Born 1804, Died 1890, Buried: Hoag's Cemetery, Harborcreek, PennsylvaniaThis is a tooth extractor used by homeopathist Parker D Grandy in the 1800's. Parker D Grandy was my Grandpa Grandy's grandfather, or my great-great-grandfather on my mom's side.

c0 This is a tooth extractor owned by Parker D. Grandy, homeopathist; Born 1804, Died 1890, Buried: Hoag's Cemetery, Harborcreek, Pennsylvania

From all accounts, Parker Grandy was not a nice man. My mom confirmed this recently, and I wrote elsewhere about a story that has circulated in our family:

A quick story: My Grandpa Grandy (LaVerne E Grandy) remembers going to the cemetery with his father. Grandpa Grandy’s father looked at his father’s grave and said, “I hated that man.” Grandpa was very young when that happened, and we don’t know to this day why my great grandpa would say that about his own father in front of his son. (Original Post > )

The man in the grave was Parker D Grandy (my great-great-grandfather).

The man speaking was Leonard Grandy (my grandpa's dad).

The boy hearing this was LaVerne E Grandy (my grandpa).

My Grandpa Grandy, LaVerne E Grandy, labeled and mounted the tooth extractor. It reads:

Tooth Extractor
Owned by:
Parker D. Grandy
Homeopathist
Born 1804
Died 1890
Buried: Hoag's Cemetery, Harborcreek, Pennsylvania


_tmp_amn_pic_88_43_0


The only other detail I had of Parker D Grandy was that his wife was many years younger. I did some searching, however, and someone else just happened to be interested in her grave. Turns out she was nearly 40 years younger.

This is the grave of Adaline Grandy (page at findagrave > ), wife of Parker D Grandy, born 1843, died Oct. 10, 1881, age 38, buried in Hoag Cemetery:


c0 Grave of Adaline Grandy, wife of Parker D Grandy, born 1843, died Oct. 10, 1881, age 38, buried in Hoag Cemeteryc0 Hoag Cemetery, Harborcreek, PA

I’d like to know more about her. I can only imagine it is a very sad story.

_tmp_amn_pic_88_43_0


East Greene Presbyterian Church, Venango, PA; I think that is Hoag Cemetery next to the church.

c0 East Greene Presbyterian Church, Venango, PA; I think that is Hoag Cemetery next to the church.

Location of Hoag Cemetery in PA according to findagrave.com; it's not far from Erie, I may make a trip there.

c0 Location of Hoag Cemetery in PA according to findagrave.com

_tmp_amn_pic_74_8_0

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. My name is Gary Grandy and Parker D Grandy's Grandfather. Parker Grandy b 1748, was my GGGGG Grandfather. I have done much research on the Grandy family. If you are interested in conversing more I can be reached at garygrandy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gary! I will follow up by email. All the best to you.

      --c0

      Delete