Monday, October 7, 2013

If the latest thing you’re writing isn’t the most exciting thing you’ve ever written…

c0 A writer in silhouette at his typewriterMost of what I think to write never leaves my finger tips. If I don’t write it down or get to a computer in a matter of seconds, it’s gone, perhaps to fester out another time, but not as what it first was, or was and was and was, reincarnating like bubbles in a boiling pot.

 

[2013-09-27]


c0


Speaking of which, I almost lost this bit that rattled around in my noodle, dislodged by rudeness while I was walking into work.


But it did come back, fairly intact, and it was this:


If the latest thing you’re writing isn’t the most exciting thing you’ve ever written...

 

a) You’re not a writer, or

b) You should be writing something else.

 

Disregarding for the moment that I don’t like a/b choices (violates the fallacy of the excluded middle) and finishing a project is sometimes a good exercise even when the project is meaningless, and this has nothing to do with writing for a living.


It applies to those times you're writing for yourself and hoping someone else will someday find it as interesting as you do.


[2013-09-27]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment