Friday, October 25, 2013

When my mind wanders, it goes here....

c0 Construction workers have lunch on a girder in 1932
Click to enlarge: “New York Construction Workers Lunching on a Crossbeam.” Photo by Charles C. Ebbets, GE Building at Rockefeller Center, 1932.

We’ve all been there: a meeting at the office, a traffic light, a classroom - and our mind wanders into events and conversations we’ve had, plan to have, or never will have but would like to.

Where does my mind go?

I find myself wondering at the fabrication process behind folding walls, or the giant rubber grommet running around a conference table. I wonder about the person that ran a press, poured a mold, how long ago that was and what the world was like back then, for some offices are now in remodeled warehouses that were built generations ago.

What did they eat for lunch? What did they talk about? What was home like? What was cooking on the stove when they got there? What did they buy with the loose change in their pockets?

My Grandpa Cairns said his mother baked cherry pies in a wood stove, and they were the best he ever had.

I think about those things.

[2013-10-11]


c0


The gene responsible for lactation is also involved in making earwax.


Howabout that.


[2013-10-15]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment