Saturday, January 18, 2014

Billy Squier, a carton of cigs and the open road.

c0 Billy Squier album cover, 'Don't Say No'In an earlier post (Dark Night of the Scarecrow: My Brother's Pizza & Calvin College, 1981 >), I mentioned Bill, who roomed with Pete Gordon, my pre-sem friend at Calvin College in 1981.

I admired Bill, and he needed admiration, so the relationship had a brief hero-acolyte existence (that would have quickly spiraled into expulsion had I not been pulled out of it by a wiser RA).

But what I remember was his car, his Billy Squier 8-track, and a full carton of cigarettes on the dashboard, and I thought Whoa, if I could have only this and the open road, I could be happy for the rest of my life.

There is a piece of me still that thinks that way, though I’d switch out Billy Squier for NPR.

[2014-01-07]


c0


I actually preferred Donnie Iris’s style at that point in my musical tastes:

 

 

 


 

c0


1 comment:

  1. Squire rocks, but Donnie has a serious groove!

    ReplyDelete