Friday, January 31, 2014

Today [Jan 20] Clarence turned off expanded cable. (Don’t know who Uncle Grandpa is? Count yourself lucky).

c0 Uncle Grandpa
Uncle Grandpa
I now get local, some Chicago, and over-the-air digital. No CNN, ESPN, Discovery, etc.


I still do get EWTN, which I tune in occasionally.


CNN streams over the Internet and all the major networks stream the biggest breaking news. No need to pay twice for it.


My little girl will miss Sprout and Cartoon Network (but I won’t; don’t know who Uncle Grandpa is? Count yourself lucky.)



Room Full of Monsters | Uncle Grandpa | Cartoon Network


[2014-01-20]


c0


What in the world is a “polar vortex” and why should I care?


c0 This is a polar vortex;  it's cold air that goes around in circles.
This is a polar vortex; it's cold air that goes around in circles.
Recently the major news networks began reporting on a “polar vortex” that was responsible for the recent cold snaps we are seeing here in the Midwest.


Now, call me crazy, but I’ll bet this isn’t the first time there’s been a polar vortex, and it sure isn’t the first time it’s gotten cold in the Midwest during winter.


In my day they called it an “arctic front.” What’s wrong with that? It easy to pronounce and makes a great marketing spins, like “arctic orange shakes.”


I suppose if the vortex terminology sticks, we’ll have new sweet sensations to go along with it. Instead of a McFlurry, I’ll be able to order a McVortex. (If you’ve ever watched them make a McFlurry, “vortex” is a lot closer to the truth.)



[2014-01-20]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment