Tuesday, January 21, 2014

When it feels wrong to do something right, something is wrong.

c0-Mr-McGregor-chasing-Peter-RabbitWriters work differently.

My preferred method is to write, review, wait 24 hours, review again, get it peered, review, revise, submit.

It's still work, it just needs time to be done well.

Lots of things are that way: Paint has to dry. Soufflés have to rise. Wine must ferment.

We do rush of course, we have no choice, and normally the compromise in quality goes unnoticed and unmeasured.

As a colleague said to to me recently, when we actually get time to do our best work, we feel guilty, because we’re not rushing pell-mell like Peter Rabbit through Mr McGregor's garden.

When it feels wrong to do something right, something is wrong.

[2012-11-23]

c0

My Grandma Cairns used to read Peter Rabbit to me when I was very little. I remember being horrified that Mrs McGregor would bake a bunny rabbit into a pie. At least, she did in the version I heard.

[2014-01-08]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment