Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Some stuff on my shelf.

In the autobiographical spirit in which this blog is often written, I'm posting pictures of a few things on the shelf in what you might call the den or TV room or family room (or the room the kids can trash because hardly anyone but me uses it).

 

↓ One set of shelves in Clarence’s family room

 

c0 Clarence's Shelf - One set of shelves in Clarence’s family room


 

↓ Grandma and Grandpa Grandy's Christmas stocking

This is one of two stockings that hung over my Grandma and Grandpa Grandy’s fireplace when they lived in Fairview, PA; that was after Grandpa (LaVerne E Grandy) retired as VP from from GTE and moved from York.


c0 Grandma and  Granpa Grandy's Christmas stocking

 

↓ Michelangelo’s Pietà, from a garage sale


c0 Clarence's Shelf - Michelangelo’s Pietà, from a garage sale

 

Mary statuette from a garage sale


c0 Clarence's Shelf - Mary statuette from a garage sale

 

↓ Classical Library, Harper’s Stereotype Edition, 1839

I bought this nearly complete set from Argos Used Books in Eastown, Grand Rapids for $60 back in 1984. It includes Alexander Pope’s Homer translations, which I read from this set.


c0 Clarence's Shelf - Classical Library, Harper’s Stereotype Edition, 1839

 

↓ 1800's Tooth Extractor Used by My Great-Great-Grandfather

Read more here >

c0 Clarence's Shelf - 1800's Tooth Extractor Used by My Great-Great-Grandfather


↓ My boyhood home in Erie
This was cut and painted by a neighbor, Donna DiTullio, who was always crafting new things for her home and made this from a spare piece of wood.

c0 Clarence's Shelf - My boyhood home in Erie

↓ Carved boat from Africa

This was a gift from my brother from his travels abroad. I don’t know which country he got it in. It reminds me of carvings that were in my Grandma and Grandpa Cairns’s house; my Uncle Ken and Aunt Dorothy were missionaries in the Congo and brought back many pieces like this.


c0 Clarence's Shelf - Carved boat from Africa

Rudolph Vargas Santa with Baby Jesus

Read more here >

 

c0 Clarence's Shelf - Rudolph Vargas Santa with Baby Jesus

↓ A Grundig 960 reproduction

Poor performance on shortwave, but okay for local channels and a nice conversation piece.


c0 Clarence's Shelf - A Grundig 960 reproduction

↓ My pipes from college days

I smoked one of these so much, I bit a notch out of the stem. I quit smoking years ago, when my wife became pregnant with Dee Dee. (Interesting phrase, “became pregnant,” like it’s magic or something.)

 

c0 Clarence's Shelf - My pipes from college days

 

↓ Garage sale nativity scene

This was given to me by Mom when she was organizing this past summer. I don’t remember it from childhood; the box it came in has a “$3” garage sale sticker on it. I quite like it.


c0 Clarence's Shelf - Garage sale nativity scene

 

[2014-01-05]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment