Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I've grown accustomed to the taste...

c0 Top row: Clarence's favorite coffees s that he can't find locally. Bottom: Favorites Clarence buys regularly
Top row: Clarence's favorite coffees that he can't find locally. Bottom: Favorites Clarence buys regularly.
Do we grow to prefer something because we really like it, or because we're just exposed to it so much we become accustomed to it?

My morning coffee brought this to mind.

If I had a choice (and could find it), I'd drink Douwe Egbert every day all day, the same brand that Burger King used to serve before they switched to Seattle's Best (and if that's the best Seattle has to offer, I'm not missing much by having never been there).

I'd also buy MJB or Citavo. MJB used to be carried locally but no more. I think Citavo is limited to food service. I had it at a very nice restaurant in the St Augustine and Ormond-by-the-Sea area of Florida and it was outstanding.

But instead I brew Maxwell House, Folgers, or grocery store brand coffee in my Mr Coffee coffee maker, and I actually prefer them over Starbucks, Biggby, Tim Horton's, and other coffee shop brews.

I'd like to think I can tell the difference, but so long as I brew it strong and take it off the warmer just as it stops gurgling, it's hard to go wrong.

Same of course goes for wine, food, art, music, etc. I'd take a dry burger at McDonalds over to filet mignon any day, and not just because I like the taste better, but because I don't like the haute couture pretense that accompanies expensive fare.

c0


Dean Martin & Chris Botti I've grown accustomed to her face



c0
[2015-01-09]

No comments:

Post a Comment