Wednesday, January 7, 2015

We enjoy admiration and sympathy at one sitting if possible.

c0 The Spider Darwin Awards, a Rich Diesslin Out to Lunch cartoon
The Spider Darwin Awards, a Rich Diesslin Out to Lunch cartoon.
It's fascinating to watch folks commiserate when called upon to go above and beyond, then later proudly display their bruises. It's the only occasion I know of where you can have your cake and eat it too.

I'm not judging, I think we all do it. We enjoy admiration and sympathy at one sitting if possible.

I used to keep an engraved pyramidal acrylic award on my desk just for fun. It was gifted to me by a departing direct report who didn't want it. I got a number of comments on it, but I was honest each time, told them who it had belonged to and that I just thought it deserved to be on display. I eventually put it back in its velour-lined box and stored it away.

I've never actually received a workplace reward (aside from "X years with Company Y," so there was a little vicarious thrill in it, I suppose.

I wouldn't want a pity award I didn't earn, however; that's worse than not having one at all, and I wrote about that here >.

[2014-11-24]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment