Tuesday, December 4, 2012

To such belongs the kingdom of heaven.

1
c0 Christmas tree outside a church. Not my church, just a pretty scene to decorate this post. It's very large if you want to use it for wallpaper.A Christmas Tree in Church?

The church I grew up in put a Christmas tree in the sanctuary each year, a big one, 12 feet tall at least; you needed a ladder to decorate it. Far as I know, they still do and use the same tree.[1]

Imagine that. A Christmas tree in a church, where we worship someone who celebrated the simple faith of children.[2]

How cool is that?

[2012-12-02]


2
"Little Golden Book" classic, The Christmas Story

c0 Cover of the "Little Golden Book" classic The Christmas StoryI picked up the Little Golden Book classic The Christmas Story last year around this time. I packed it away with the stockings and tinsel and ornaments and am reading it to Dee Dee this year for the first time.

It's a wonderful little book, first published in 1952.

c0 First page of "Little Golden Book" classic The Christmas Story that hints at Marian devotion.I'm going to look for more from this series. I have an original (different title) in plastic that was mine many years ago. It's falling apart, but I remember it well.

This Christmas Story actually has a very subtle nod to Marian devotion. If you click on the image of the first page and enlarge it, you can read for yourself.

c0 last page of the Little Golden Book classic, The Christmas StoryI think we owned one when I was a boy, or perhaps my grandparents did. The last page that shows a child carrying a lamb is very familiar to me.

[2012-12-01]

 

c0

 

[1]
c0 The old Bethel Baptist Church, formerly at 737 E. 26th Street in Erie, PA.That was Bethel Baptist Church, then at 737 E. 26th Street in Erie, PA, now at 1781 W 38th Street in Erie. I helped decorate that tree one year when I was a student at Bethel Christian School at the E. 26th Street location. That year it was to the pastor's left, off the platform and to the right of the organ. At the 38th Street location, it's generally on the pastor's right and much further away, as the sanctuary is much wider.

[2]
He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me..." (Mark 9:36, NETFree)

I tell you the truth, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it." After he took the children in his arms, he placed his hands on them and blessed them. (Mark 10:15-16, NETFree)

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:14 ESV)

Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” (Luke 18:17 ESV)

c0

1 comment:

  1. Loved today's blog and the scriptural references re: children. Oh, to have the faith of a little child.

    ReplyDelete