Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What's wrong with me buying something I can afford?

There is something wrong with the extravagance we layer over the birth of a baby in a manger.

c0 Jimmy Choo Tatoo Python Knee-High BootsI'm not talking about the financial sacrifices we make to give something nice to someone else. I'm talking about cars and trips, jewelry, or Jimmy Choo Tatoo Python Knee-High Boots, now only $2026.50 . (Yes, there's an extra 50¢ at end of that price. Somebody's idea of a joke, I suppose.)

Most folks will say, "What's wrong with me buying something I can afford?"

There's something wrong with buying something very few can afford and not wondering what else might be done with that money.[1]

[2012-12-14
]
c0



c0 Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin PeeingSitting down to a keyboard and typing is like like eating when I'm hungry, or relieving myself when my bladder's about to burst, or breathing after holding my breath.

[2012-12-07]
 
c0


 

It's not uncommon...

... for someone who made a sincere decision for Christ to become a loud and angry atheist.

But it's rare for the same person to become indifferent.

(That sounds reasonable, but I don't know if it's true. It may not be how an apologist thinks, but it is how a writer thinks. The reverse it certainly true: loud and angry atheists make loud and cheerful converts.)

[2012-11-28]

c0


[1]
I've written around this absurdity many times but not yet captured it well. Those afflicted by wealth are least able to see how it impacts others.

c0

2 comments:

  1. I heard a piece once that featured a footwear store owner who attempted to adverstise a pair of boots for $70.00. The printer misplaced the decimal and advertised the boots at $7,000 by mistake. The owner said he got more calls on those boots than any he'd ever featured before. People wanted to know if he had certain exotic skins available, or diamond studded, and so on. There's a lot of money out there looking for a place to be spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus said "the poor you will always have with you," but neglected to add "because there will always be rich people that don't share what God gave them."

    --c0

    ReplyDelete