Sunday, December 9, 2012

We famished ourselves.

c0 fried egg on a slice of breadA favorite food from my childhood was fried egg sandwiches. Mom made them over-hard, on white bread, with ketchup. You had to hold the sandwich around the edges, as the ketchup would seep through the top layer of bread.

I also ate many baloney sandwiches - on white bread with mayonnaise and a slice of American cheese. The bread would stick to the roof of your mouth and so required a "half pint milk," which was how milk was served to school children of my generation. There was no 2%, 1%, skim or fat free, and no juice or pop. Just whole milk. White or chocolate. Take your pick.

[2012-12-03
]

c0


c0 Taki's Restaurant, 2933 West 12th Street, Erie, PA 16505 Overheard: "We famished ourselves."
 
As in, "we ate until we were very full." This was at breakfast at Taki's restaurant on West 12th Street in Erie PA, maybe 1983 or 1984. The speaker was an older coworker at Janitor Jim. We were on a crew together that worked 3rd shift cleaning and waxing floors around town.

He was the fellow that introduced me to some colorful expressions that rhyme with my name. I went by "Chuck" in those days.

Taki's is a classic diner. It got a face lift some years ago, but has been there for as long as I can remember.

I don't believe Janitor Jim is still in business in Erie.

[2012-11-29
]

c0


Blogger Labels: food,bread,baloney,American,children,generation,juice,breakfast,Taki,restaurant,West,Street,Erie,coworker,Janitor,crew,expressions,rhyme,Chuck,diner,ketchup

No comments:

Post a Comment