Monday, March 11, 2013

A surfeit of lamprey.

c0 sea lampreysI am currently listening to a history of the Middle Ages and heard this delightful phrase: "A surfeit of lamprey."

It was a apparently the cause of death of King Henry I. Lampreys were enjoyed by the European upper classes during the Middle Ages >.


To paraphrase Truman Capote, the rich sure are different from you and me.[1]

[2013-03-03
]

c0
Who am i writing for?

When I write I these posts I usually have specific people I picture reading them...

Friends
Family
Folks at extremes of the Christian spectrum (Baptists and Catholics, mostly, two denominations divided by a common savior)
Folks outside both extremes (atheists, agnostics)

I try to anticipate disagreement and I think my posts (sometimes awkwardly) reflect that.

[2013-03-08
]



c0

[1]
I'm listening to Prof Dorsey Armstrong on "The Medieval World." The Middle Ages is one topic in which it would be easy to criticize religious elements for their role in human cruelty, but Prof Armstrong frequently gives insight into ancient peoples and motivations that humanize them in a way that makes them more accessible. It's not a matter of dismissing the wars and crusades and machinations, but allowing for some sincerity of many who found themselves caught up in them.

c0 an Afghani child injured in the conflictA personal insight: I am sad to say I was filled with just as much vengeful thinking after 9-11 as many Americans. I was aware of my anger, but it didn't go away because of my awareness. Something inside me wanted people to die, as much as I wish I could say otherwise. I've railed against feelings like that here many times; no doubt evidence of discomfort with my own aggression.

I don't think I could pull the trigger or drop a bomb, but I sure had no problem silently cheering on those who did, which made me equally culpable.

How different am I today from someone who sent off a son to fight in the Crusades?

Not at all.


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment