Saturday, March 30, 2013

Fill Your Hand

c0 Charles Bronson in the last scene from the first Death Wish movie. He's just arrived in a new town and is sending a message to the audience that he will continue his vigilante justice crusade. I went to a downtown Erie book store and bought a used paperback of Death Wish for 25 cents before the movie came to TV. That's how I consumed most movies in those days - in book form - since we weren't allowed to go to the theater, with rare exceptions.Once upon a time, you rarely used your Security Number, perhaps once a year when doing your taxes (which was always on paper), or when getting a new job.

I saw Charles Bronson memorize a Social Security Number in a movie, and since he was always a hero of mine, I memorized my own.

I remember applying for a job in Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids Michigan, at B Dalton Booksellers, and I wrote down my social security number on the application without getting out my wallet. The bookstore manager asked, "You memorized your Social Security number?", a bit astonished. (Most applicants had to go home and find it).

You might compare it today to memorizing a driver's license number.

I was fresh out of college and
working three jobs at that time so I could afford an apartment; I couldn't keep up the pace, so that job was the first to go.

c0

Ideas are just neural connections; it's the people connected by the ideas that matter.

Any idea that intentionally hurts or subjugates the innocent is a bad idea.

[2013-03-21
]

c0

c0 Clarence talks to George after he pulls him out of the water. George is suddenly able to hear with an ear that's been deaf since a childhood accident. George says to Clarence, "Say something else in that ear." Clarence replies, "Sure. You can hear out of it."Say something else in that ear.

"Listening is harder than it looks."

--Clarence 0ddbody

[2013-03-21]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment