Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sucks to be you.

c0 This political cartoon reads, "Sorry, but your private health insurance won't cover a Cesarean... however, it does cover the Heimlich maneuver..."The other day I was checking out at the receptionist's desk with my wife and newborn after a visit to our healthcare provider (who I've been with for over 20 years and like very much).

Next to me, a Hispanic man with a wife and sick baby had just come in for an appointment. It was the first day of the month. The receptionist, who had just exchanged pleasantries with me, checked his healthcare card and very politely said "I'm sorry, this expired yesterday. We can't see you."

The man went over to his wife and baby and spoke in Spanish. She said "Que?," which is all the Spanish I know. I presume he said something to the effect of "Our insurance expired yesterday, honey, they won't see the baby."

The difference of one day might make the difference of a lifetime for that child.

We all drive on the same roads, pay the same taxes, go to the same schools, shop at the same stores, and we all work together to build and maintain those things.

Shame on us.

[2013-03-11]

c0


c0 Don't bother me with facts: This photo purportedly shows a human footprint contemporaneous with a dinosaur footprint. It was discovered in 2000 near Glen Rose, Texas. The fossil resides at Carl Baugh's Creation Evidence Museum. Facts overlap everyone's opinions.

You can immediately tell a person with an undisciplined education by how resistant they are to speculation and how quickly they discard opposing ideas. They are only interested in winning a dispute, not learning.

I have in mind not a person, but the debates that quickly spring up at the bottom of news stories at places like MSNBC. You can tell some are well-read, just ill-informed.

Facts overlap everyone's opinions. Acknowledging them won't erode your position if you've sufficiently accounted for them.

[2013-02-26
]

c0

1 comment: