Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Alfred Hitchcock Directs "The Lodger" on OTR

c0 Alfred Hitchcock(Repost from July 8, 2011 over at my OldTimeRadioDiner blog, no longer active. I started that back when I thought I could keep two going at the same time.)

"This is Hollywood and CBS presenting broadcast #4, Herbert Marshall directed by Alfred Hitchcock in the first program of the proposed new series entitled Suspense."


d(-_-)b

Listen Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger >



_tmp_amn_pic_22_16_0Listen for Hitch to talk at the end of the radio play; you can detect the young director already developing his promotional skills. Listen also for Edmund Gwenn, Santa Clause from Miracle on 34th Street, and who worked again with Hitchcock in The Trouble with Harry.

Hitchcock considered The Lodger his first real film, and I recall as a student learning that no complete print of the film existed, but it seems that this is in fact the first of Hitchcock's films that is complete (>)
. He did make two earlier films, and it is perhaps those I was thinking of.

(If you don't know what it's about, it plays off
Jack the Ripper mythos.)

c0

 

No comments:

Post a Comment