Monday, July 15, 2013

My best Fred Meijer story.

(Fred Meijer was Hendrik Meijer's son. Fred ran Meijer, Inc, headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI, for many years.)

c0 Fred MeijerI was once at the end of a long delegation string for an important meeting. When this happened in the old days, agendas and attendees often changed but the delegated notice would not be updated. I was scheduled to arrive mid-morning during a day-long session in the corporate board room.

I had only been at corporate a couple years. I sported a pony tail down to my waist, which was nearly unheard of at that time.

I showed up at the board room, which had no windows, and let myself in. The meeting was in progress, as I expected, and there was only one chair available, near the head of an enormous oblong table, at which sat the head of the company, Fred Meijer.

Fred smiled and waved me over to the empty chair and I sat down next to him as the stares of board members and business leaders returned to the speaker.

A moment later, an important-looking man came over and asked who I was and why I was there. I explained, and he whispered that the Ecomm segment had been rescheduled.

I rose on spaghetti legs and wobbled out amid more stares from board members and business leaders.

[2012-06-17]

c0


Fred didn't know me from Adam. I was just a cubicle lackey in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Fred welcomed me like I belonged, and I felt, if only briefly, like I did.

Fred died two days before my father in 2011.

Both men took with them a certain character that is fading with the steady, quiet departure of a generation.

c0



Bill Smith

c0 Bill Smith, formerly Sr VP of Marketing and Advertising, Meijer, IncI also worked with Bill Smith, who, IIRC, was Sr VP over Marketing and Advertising. Bill took me out for lunch for my birthday, out of the blue, with no warning. I was a proofreader with no status, no street cred. He showed up at my desk with his grandson and asked if I was free and we went out to a very nice restaurant.

That was a long, long time ago.

Bill had a book signing a couple years ago and I bought a copy and asked him to sign it, and wouldn't you know, he remembered me.

His old office, room 303, is now a meeting room. Every time I'm in it, I'm reminded of him.

[2103-06-17]

c0



Famous people I've seen in person:

President Ford
President Reagan
President George Bush, Sr
Colin Powell
Steve Jobs
ABC News anchor Sam Donaldson

[2103-06-17]

c0


No comments:

Post a Comment