Thursday, July 25, 2013

What kids believe (and my Calvin College Latin prof)

c0 This alligator looks like he might be able to dig out the Grand Canyon with a few buddies.We all remember believing childish things and the moments we were educated away from them.[1]

Jeff Hull in 3rd grade at Vernondale Elementary School in Erie, PA believed alligators dug the Grand Canyon. No amount of disagreement would convince him otherwise, including Miss Anderson's, our teacher, who attempted to prevent that idea from sticking in our heads.

At about that same age, Steve Schloss and I rode our bikes all the way to the Gates of Heaven cemetery at the end of 10th Street. While we took a breather at the chained wrought-iron fence and watched a funeral off in the distance, Steve told me that everyone who was buried there was on fire. Their sides were burning.

I found this new information very curious and asked for more information, but that's all he knew.

c0 Purgatory - by Annibale CarracciI went home and told Mom what I learned and she promptly grounded me for riding my bike so far away from home without telling her.

She didn't answer my question about people on fire under the ground. She probably didn't understand it any better than I did.

I think now, looking back, Steve was referring to Purgatory, which typically has been portrayed as hellish and fiery, and in his 3rd grade mind, that place was just under our feet.

[2013-03-21
]
c0


c0 I studied from Wheelock's Latin. My edition was older than this one, but I couldn't find a picture of it.[1]
My Calvin College Latin professor once dismissed the folk etymology that 'education' comes from Latin 'educo,'
to lead
, which places educators more in a role of mentor or shepherd. It actually however comes from ēducātiō, meaning a breeding, bringing up, rearing. Wiktionary actually does include 'educo' in the etymology of 'education,' so there may be some debate on this.

My Latin prof thought I would have made a good lawye
r with my English major and interest in Latin. But had that been so, I would likely have been a pro bono defense lawyer.

I don't remember what my Latin prof's name was. I liked him very much, but it's been many years. He was fond of making quips in class that were short enough to write down while taking class notes. I had a notebook full of them.

I spent some time looking through old Calvin faculty alumni, but had no luck finding him.

If you want an especially humbling experience, spend some time looking through lists of old college alumni and see what they’re up to today.



c0


No comments:

Post a Comment