Sunday, July 28, 2013

From the Vulgar to the Sublime – The Rockettes, Santa, and D James Kennedy

c0 Santa Claus with the Rockettes
c0 Dr D James Kennedy
Click to enlarge: Top: Santa Claus with the Rockettes. Bottom: Dr D James Kennedy
Why is it that those who wish to raise funds often arrange for events that involve golfing or expensive plates at a fancy restaurant? (Or faith-based cruises, at one time popular among evangelicals, eg, Dr D James Kennedy's "Bible Boat.")

Give me Putt Putt and a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

I guess I'm not one of the folks they're talking to.

Some time back I got the Chase Amex card to obtain some perk or another. I kept getting emails with offers to see Santa Claus with the Rockettes.

Anyone with my bills and
opinion of big cities knows that's like offering a hamburger to a vegetarian.

[2013-07-09]
c0



c0 President Nixon giving his trademark peace sign.The most intriguing thing I ever saw as a child...

... (aside from the first time I saw a naked woman in a girly magazine) was a polished wooden ring holder shaped like a hand with its middle finger sticking up.

This was in Neil Chipoletti's older brother's bedroom.

c0 wooden hand with middle finger sticking up; the one I remember was larger and prettier than this but this gives you an ideaI wasn't offended or surprised, just utterly fascinated. It embodied such a vulgar attitude in such a pretty form, at a time when most of the country thought as much about the war we were in (Vietnam) and the president we had (Nixon) and inflation and California grape boycotts and all that.

It was also in that bedroom I saw that first girly magazine. I had no idea what I was looking at.

This would have been 1970-ish.

[2013-03-21
]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment