Tuesday, August 13, 2013

May lightning strike me where I stand.

c0 Joker playing card.Discussing a controversial topic with someone who thinks in one-liners is like trying to drain the ocean with an eye dropper. You get to the point where you want to say "Aren't you going to seriously respond to anything I've said?"

Sometimes (not always), that's exactly what they're trying not to do, and they're using humor to gracefully avoid seriously responding.

Reasons vary. It could be because the topic is uncomfortable, or because they know nothing about it, or possibly because they really think the subject is just too trivial to take seriously.

If I see this coming (I usually don't), I smile after the first bit of sarcasm and keep my peace. If the joke is in poor taste, I say so.

I make an effort never to hurt a friend who counters me this way, because they are often trying to be kind (and I might be opening myself up for a good trouncing anyway).

A former coworker and good friend who was not a Christian once made a joke about Jesus being affixed to the cross with a nail gun. I kindly told him that was very offensive, and you know what? We are friends to this day and he never made another unkind joke about Jesus.

Of course, I had to respect him in return, or this wouldn't have worked.

[2012-12-15]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment