Friday, August 2, 2013

There's nothing quite as unattractive as an academic defending his credentials.

Reza Aslan, former evangelical Christian, convert to Islam, and author of Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Click to enlarge: Reza Aslan, former evangelical Christian, convert to Islam, and author of Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. He is now an associate professor in the Creative Writing program at the University of California, Riverside. His full credentials are here >. I must say, anyone named a Truman Capote Fellow just earned my undivided attention.

I'm not sure why all the kerfuffle over this.

Lots of Christians have written books on other religious figures. I think there is a bit of "because you're Moslem, you have nothing to tell me about a historical Jew," or, "Jesus takes it on the chin every day, let's turn the tables for a moment."

And I understand that. Aslan may have some insight to be sure (he's a former evangelical Christian after all), but I'm skeptical that he could be sufficiently unbiased to interest me. I have that sort if internal dialog every time I pick up a book by any author: Do I care what the writer thinks? If I don't, I don't read it.

(FWIW, from the Amazon reviews - both good an bad - there's nothing here that hasn't already been covered better by others. The novelty is that it was written by a Muslim and former Christian, so perhaps this is like reading a vegetarian review of McDonald's - interesting but incomplete, unless of course you're a vegetarian.)

Reza Aslan with Lauren Green on Fox News

[2013-07-31]]

c0

A little perspective....

But there's always the other side of the coin, isn't there?

Jesus was a Jew. How would the Moslem world respond to a Moslem that converted to Judaism and wrote a book on Mohamed?

Yeah, there's a fatwah for that.


c0


I don't mind seeing responses to Fox News motivated by a sense of fairness, but let's stow the incredulity and understand the sensitivities that led to the conversation in the first place.

c0

What's really strange? That Lauren Green is being widely depicted as "attacking" Islam because she challenged a Moslem's understanding of Christianity. I think the conversation (if not the tone) is a good one. And vice versa.

c0


c0 Islamic star and crescent.Denying history to support a belief...

Too many folks are not content to believe what they want, but need to change history to support what they want to believe[1]. Unfortunately, desperation can be just as loud and effective as the truth.

For example: "Jesus Christ, never got crucified, nor was he ever killed." > 


If you're going
to use someone else's holy book against them, at least make an effort to know what you're talking about.

[2013-06-30]


c0


For the record, I juxtaposed Reza Aslan with answering-christianity.com to provide some contrast; I am not in any way equating them or suggesting one taints or enhances the other. I wrote them a month apart.


c0

[1]
Introspective self-critique:
That is a very good sentence.

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment