Monday, December 16, 2013

Late bloomer.

Some of us mature late into critical thinking (if we do at all). Looking back with adult eyes, I always admired the kids who interpreted events like adults; they saw things I didn’t. Without exception, they had older brothers and sisters that provided examples. Being the oldest in my family, I didn’t become critical until late high school and early college.

(Some may dispute that I ever did.)

c0 Kent State shootings, May 4, 1970 (John P. Filo, Valley Daily News)
Click to enlarge:

Kent State shootings, May 4, 1970 (John P. Filo, Valley Daily News)

A Kent State student screams over a classmate (John P. Filo, Valley Daily News). The dead included Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller (who were protesting) and Sandra Scheuer and William Knox Schroeder (who were walking to class).

One fellow I remember clearly in this light was a blonde curly-topped boy in 12th grade at McDowell High School in Erie, PA (Millcreek school district). We ate lunch together, along with two others, one we called Huey (his last name was Hewitt). I don’t remember any other names.

It was the anniversary of the Kent State University shootings and I said something to the effect that the students asked for it. He responded angrily with details I hadn't heard before and I immediately apologized for speaking without fully understanding.

Small ignorant fiascos at the right moment set new courses if we're paying attention.

[2103-12-03]

c0

You get to the point where you are sincere in way that only comes with age and a trail scattered with joy and disappointment, and you look back wishing that along the way you had held ideas that matter a little closer.


[2013-12-04]


 

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment