Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Seeing Jesus in a Jaguar

c0 Jaguar hood ornamentOn the way into work today, a distinguished man with eyeglasses and horseshoe pattern baldness passed me in his hunter green Jaguar with a fraternity license plate frame saying kappa-psi-something-or-other. Not fast, but there was plenty of open road behind me, and not much ahead of me. No turn signal, just a smooth pass and merge by someone who enjoyed driving and had a good feel for distance and safety even when in a hurry.

I thought, what’s behind the Jaguar and fraternity? It’s a statement, of course, about who he is and how much he’s worth and where he chooses to spend his money. We all make statements. That’s why I grow my hair long, wear a plain white poplin shirt and dark slacks to work, drive a sensible Toyota, prefer McDonalds to Applebee's or TGI Fridays or Chili's (which I consider upscale but others consider pedestrian).

The end of it all, of course, is that Mr Jaguar and I will both turn to dust beneath a slab of granite and (I believe) be called to account for what we did when we were above ground.

I’m not judging him. It’s a matter of scale. There are some that would regard me in the same manner, and the perceptions repeat incrementally until you get to the most impoverished and destitute people in the world who have nowhere to look but up, and that is where you find Jesus.

[2013-12-06]


c0


2 comments:

  1. Much of the time - that's exactly right - but there are always the exceptions. I once worked with a man who spent 22 years on the mission field in the DRC, preaching Jesus to the poor. When he came home, he garnered the favor and admiration of some Christians with means - and because he was in need of a car, a friend GAVE him a Jaguar. (If I remember right - the Christian friend owned a Jaguar dealership.) Not sure if he drove fast - But I'm sure he drove it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many exceptions, and people are people and all need each other and God regardless of what they look like or how they behave. I'd like to think I'd say no to a Jaguar and give most of the money to someone that needed it. Tempt me with something else, however, and who knows how I'd respond.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete