Friday, December 20, 2013

Just listen (and wear a fanny pack).

c0 A man with a fanny pack at Epcot Center; I don't know him, he just showed up on GoogleThe abundance of ingratiating “I have no right to understand your pain,” especially when it comes from straights discussing gays or one color discussing another, is getting pretty thick nowadays. We’ve come to expect some element of self-loathing to reassure the moderator and audience we aren’t a closet _____ (fill in the blank).

(Eg, I’m straight, so I can’t possibly contribute meaningfully to a conversation on gay issues.)

Baloney.

We all have some valid perspectives on ourselves and each other, and until we start listening to them, we won’t dispel each other’s misconceptions.

Just listen. That’s all. Then think about what you heard.

There is nothing - no injury or emotion or idea or fault - that is not shared by us all.

[2013-12-14]

[I wrote this before the whole Duck Dynasty flap started. It's providing a timely example of how both sides are not listening. Watch and try to figure out who is seeking to understand. Both sides are talking at each other, not with. And even those who are pleading for simple perspicuity are shouted down or tacitly shrouded. 2013-12-20]

c0


c0 Is this really an ugly sweater; I think it's kinda prettyI don’t understand what’s up with “ugly “ sweaters. I’ve never seen one I didn't like. I think they’re festive and they look warm.


And I like fruitcake.


And I think fanny packs are practical. I’m afraid to wear one though because of the gasps I got when I said that out loud.


[2013-12-17]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment