Saturday, August 2, 2014

My bibles.

c0 Inside front of my Douay-Rheims bible
Inside front of Douay-Rheims bible
I rarely read from print anymore. I use a Nook, and otherwise get news and do my writing on a desktop.

However, these are the bibles I've owned over the years. Funny that I've kept them all. Each has some special memory, I suppose. I've read them all, but the Scofield I received from Bethel Baptist Church when I graduated from McDowell high school is far and away the one I've spent the most time in. Even so, my favorite version for a couple years has been the RSV.



 c0 My bibles
My bibles. Bottom Left to top Right: Scofield King James Version, New English Bible, Douay-Rheims Bible, New Living Bible, Revised Standard Version, Good News Bible, St Ignatius New Testament Study Bible.

My favorite form factor is the very cool and tiny Douay-Rheims, which holds the complete Old and New Testaments and Apocrypha. The Challoner Douay-Rheims is regarded by some Catholics much like the King James is among evangelicals. I bought it many years ago at a used book store for a few dollars because it was so intriguing.


c0

An approach to the Apostolic Fathers

I've set myself a long-overdue goal: Reading the Apostolic Fathers. I wanted to get modern translations and a good commentary. My Process: First, I read Simon Tugwell's overview on a particular Father, then Michael Holmes' introduction and text. I've picked at the Fathers over the years, but never made a concerted effort to read the earliest all at one go.

(For the unfamiliar, the Apostolic Fathers are early Christians who were disciples of the twelve Apostles; ie, they knew someone who knew Jesus. The "Apostles" knew Jesus himself.)

Apostolic Fathers, Simon Tugwell


[2014-07-29]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment