Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Forgot

c0 I forgotEver forget something everyone else thinks you should always remember? Your cell phone number, perhaps. Or your spouse’s birthday.

Our HMO always first asks for the birthday of the person you're inquiring about. I was calling about my wife. My mind went blank and I forgot her birthday. So the HMO receptionist asked for her name, but my wife didn't change her name when we married and she is listed differently in different places and I can never remember which place knows her by her maiden name, my name, or a hyphenated version. So the gal on the phone thought I was an impostor, or an idiot.

I felt like both.

My whole life is in my computer, including anniversaries, birthdays, prescriptions, the works. I do that so I don't have to remember them. I keep nothing in my head that is more reliably stored elsewhere.

Happy Veteran’s Day.

_tmp_amn_pic_3_20_0
Started: 2012-06-24

No comments:

Post a Comment