Friday, July 13, 2012

Why You Should Wear Socks to Bed

(0dds & Ends for July 13)

1
c0 cover of Davis A Young's upcoming book, Good News for Science: Why Scientific Minds Need GodI received a prerelease of my Uncle Dave's new book, Good News for Science: Why Scientific Minds Need God.

I am just finishing Antony Flew's There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind; I'm into the appendix, but it's 50 pages or so and the time I have to read is limited. I will turn to Dave's book as soon as I finish Flew; it will be the third of Dave's that I've read.

It should be available for purchase in August from Amazon and/or Malius Press_tmp_amn_pic_10_15_1. Stay tuned for comments. I anticipate an enjoyable and challenging read.

[July 9, 2012]


2
c0 socksA professor I know said once in class that if he had a good idea after going to bed, he'd toss a sock over the lamp shade; in the morning he'd remember what the idea was.

The rest of the class laughed.

For years I've been going to bed with my socks on and removing one if I have an idea I need to remember after going to bed.

It works every time, and I was doing it before I heard my professor was doing it.

I don't toss it over a lamp shade, I take one off and put it on the floor. When I wake up the next morning with one sock on, I remember what I was thinking about the night before.

[June 25, 2012]

3
The world is too noisy. In the foyer of the church where I currently take my family, I can't even hear the sound coming through noise-canceling earbuds (I'm not kidding - and that's in the foyer with the sanctuary doors closed).

Every Monday there is grass cutting and trimming equipment all over town, so loud it hums through the window panes of my home, my car, and my 3rd story office.

And of course there are trucks and leaf blowers and cars with booming speakers and air planes etc.

What was the word like 100 years ago when you didn't have industrial equipment to cut the grass? Or electrified instruments in church?

(Please don't misunderstand - there is nothing wrong with loud praise; if that's your thing, more power to you. But I already have some hearing loss in my left ear from concerts and loud headphones when I was a kid; I cannot physically absorb that much volume without some pain and ringing; and although the folks that worship there are wonderful and sincere Christians - I have no doubt of that - my heart leans elsewhere.)

[June 25, 2012]

_tmp_amn_pic_57_57_0

No comments:

Post a Comment