Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Modest Proposal

c0 Walther PPK, Jame's Bond's gunI asked a mutual acquaintance recently on Facebook, who appeared to me to be defending an irresponsible interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, to offer his solution for preventing tragedies like the Colorado theater shooting; in the meantime, we all unfortunately watched the same thing unfold again in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, in a place a worship, a Sikh temple.

I haven't heard from the Facebook acquaintance, and although he doesn't owe me or anyone else an answer, we do need one, so I answered it myself.

Let me say first I was once a member of the NRA, I have fired and enjoyed firearms as a youth, and our house had many guns in it. My dad was not a hunter, but my brother Tom and I (especially my brother) enjoyed them. Our collection included a WWII Nazi Mauser, a Thompson Contender with interchangeable barrels, a Walther PPK, a .22, and a shotgun, if I recall correctly. We had a gun rack in our bedroom. The Walter and .22 were mine. The Walther was an American version that kept jamming and I had to return it. I should have gotten the used French one, but it was beat up and I wanted shiny new.[1]

So, in the wake of the Sikh temple shootings, and with all due respect to both sides of the issue, and especially to my Facebook acquaintance (whom I believe is unhappy with me but toward whom I hold no hard feelings), I'd like to present my own solution to retaining some of the 2nd Amendment and preventing further tragedy:

1. All guns must be registered.
2. Deeper background check for all firearms (the Sikh temple shooter purchased his handgun legally).
3. Restrict magazine capacity to allow Winchesters, collectibles, etc, but no large magazines, banana clips, etc.
4. No assault or automatic or semi-automatic weapons.
5. Exemptions allowed for collectors, museums, dealers, etc.
6. Permit renewal every 10 years for every gun. I renew my car registration annually, and my driver's license every 4 years. The concept seems reasonable for firearms.
7. All sales must be recorded through a state authority; this should be easy and uncomplicated so that every owner can do it himself, just like you renew your own driver’s license. If you let a permit lapse, you get a hefty fine; if you can't abide by the law, you lose the right to keep your guns. No fees, just like there are no fees to vote or file your tax forms.
8. No firearms of any type within city limits except under lock and key.
9. Law officers may ask (with cause) to see your firearms to ensure they are safely locked. (Just as they may stop you while driving.)

Do I like any of this? No. But guaranteed neither extreme on the gun issue likes it either, and I know both sides well. I am not anyone's enemy. I am in the middle looking for a way to preserve some gun rights and save lives.

_tmp_amn_pic_25_43_0
[1]
We bought most of our guns at Gorenflo's in Erie, PA. Just us 16-year-old kids with new driver's licenses and the ability to drive around town. Rich Nickel reloaded his own shotgun shells; he had quite a fancy reloading bench. Rich was my best friend throughout childhood; I've lost track of him, maybe someday he'll stumble across this and contact me. He lived on Montpelier in Erie, one block down from me. His family left years ago.

_tmp_amn_pic_25_43_0
I do not own a gun today and begrudge no one their choice to own or not own a gun.
_tmp_amn_pic_40_50_0
Started: 2012-08-06

3 comments:

  1. You're Crazy! You're a Lunatic! You would trample this (our most beloved right!) under your commie boots! And - if you outlaw guns (clearly, that is your long term goal - is it not?) only outlaws will HAVE guns (I made that up.) You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers! (I made that up too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks, you figured me out!

    --c0

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another thing - Guns are great! And, they are what makes US great too. And another thing - I like guns!

    ReplyDelete