Wednesday, August 15, 2012

As long as neither side can win an election with the truth...

1
As long as neither side can win an election with the truth...

... we all lose.

c0 Angry Ed Schultzc0 Angry Hannity (well, he's probably just being very pointed; he doesn't get very angry; I like him a lot, but I disagree with his politics.)c0 Angry Romneyc0 Angry Obama

There is no war on women, or war on the middle class, or war on religion.

There is, however, a continued erosion of shared values and an effort to understand and educate and tolerate each other.

That probably can look like a war if you're standing close enough.

But it's more about TV ratings, careers and advertising dollars. People that make decisions that benefit others more than themselves don't go into politics, media, or entertainment. If you remember that, things make a little more sense.

(I'm not so naive to think any of this is new, but never has it been so loud and pervasive; entire networks are now committed to packaging issues one way or the other so you won't question what's in the package. Yesterday I heard the president of N.O.W., Terry O'Neill, tell Ed Schultz that the Romney campaign is "anti birth control." That's not true, but nowhere in the discussion did they peel back the layers that underlie that statement. I can only guess that it's related to the HHS mandate and compulsory support of birth control and sterilization (see more here >). Neither, BTW, do I think the Obama campaign is anti-religion, but it doesn't matter. Why tell everyone everything they need to know to make an informed decision? If you can tell half a story and get the results you want, all the better.)

[2012-08-13]

 

2
English Bible Family Tree

c0 1613 edition of the King James Version Bible; in the UK this is known as the Authorized VersionThis was very helpful to me: English Bible Family Tree >

The blog it's linked from is Preacherwin's Weblog (with which I have no affiliation and have spent no time, I'm simply crediting the source.)

What is my favorite version?

I was raised on the King James Version, but have come to enjoy the NIV, RSV, and Living Bible. I think each in it's own way has something to recommend it; there is a level of engagement that floats above translation, though the translation can greatly influence how we engage.

[2012-08-03]

 

3
One of the coolest gifts I ever got...

... was a cassette tape of AC/DC's Back in Black from Randy Carlson when I was 18 or 19 years old.

c0 Angus Young of AC/DCI was a poor college student home for summer break and the last thing I had money for was music. No digital downloads in those days, no Youtube. If you didn't know someone that owned it or couldn't afford it, you just listened to the radio all day, and the closest Erie came to metal in those days was WCCK, K-104.

The smallest gestures are often the most fondly recalled.

Thank you, Randy.

\m/

[2012-08-06]

_tmp_amn_pic_92_96_0

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I got your message. Thanks! E-mail me at: herbert.vanderlugt@gmail.com I would love to meet up and hear more about your journey. Thanks for being open with your faith and your philosophy. We all benefit from such honesty. Herb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Herb, I'll send you and email.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete