Monday, August 20, 2012

My Position on P**** Riot

c0 One of the members of the Russian musical band Pussy Riot• Legislation regulating hateful expression should be applied equally and without regard to those being offended.

• The best test of a law is how it protects or punishes both the popular and unpopular, the weak and the powerful.

• Russia is a sovereign state and allowed to make their own rules just like any other country. And everyone else has a right to criticize it.

• Laws are nothing more than codified efforts to protect the lives, property and sensibilities of others. No one likes to get their feelings hurt. That includes individuals, and collections of individuals who identify with a sexual orientation, skin color, religious belief, etc.

• The verdict seems to be more about Russian president Vladimir Putin than it is about churches or hooliganism.

• NPR seems to be enjoying covering this story and repeating the name of the band on the air. Or maybe I'm just reacting to my own sensibilities.

The Washington Post: A Russian farce over a punk rock band >

P**** Riot On Youtube >

P**** Riot In Wikipedia >

_tmp_amn_pic_56_2_3

c9 Oil LampWe lost power this weekend, hence no blog entries. I did however enjoy reading Dr Seuss to Dee Dee by oil lamp; I may not get a chance to do that again under quite the same circumstances. Lamp oil has a very pleasant smell when lit and extinguished, if you grew up with it, as I did. I also spent more time with my neighbors than I have in years.

_tmp_amn_pic_56_2_3
Started
: 2012-08-17

No comments:

Post a Comment