Sunday, August 26, 2012

Of Crucifixes and Castration

c0 Family Circus - I like seeing Jesus in the manger better“My first memory is of the crucifix in my boyhood parish, Holy Name in Birmingham, Michigan. I do not know how old I was, but I knew Jesus had died for me and my whole life was supposed to be a response to this.”
--Fr John Riccardo[1]

“And I, brothers, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offense of the cross ceased.” Paul in Gal 5:11, AKJV[2]

 

Two Responses, a Single Source

Fr Riccardo and Paul are referring to two different types of responses to the cross, but the emotional components have a lot in common.

Paul was referring to some Jewish Christians disagreeing with him over circumcision; they couldn't accept that the cross (death and resurrection) fulfilled and superseded Jewish law. Paul said circumcision didn't matter one way or the other, but if that's what they wanted to do, they had to keep the whole schmeer.

Fr Riccardo's comment is deceptively simple. The crucifix is a reminder that we must respond to this suffering person; in many homes and churches it's in every room. A cross with no body on it (common in evangelical churches) doesn't have the same effect. It means "I am a Christian." It doesn't mean "I have an obligation," certainly not in the same visceral way.[3]

Many evangelicals find the crucifix offensive, not because it conflicts with their belief in a crucified Jesus, but because it's a reminder of the passion, not the resurrection, where evangelicals like to focus. In other words, it's painful. Who likes pain? (I still can't bring myself to watch The Passion of the Christ.)

It's probably fair to say we can put too much emphasis on one or the other - the death or the triumph over death – but each is needed to understand the other.

As a child and to this day, the symbol of the crucifix spoke to me. I never found it offensive, but rather intriguing and compelling. I do not have one in my home; I do carry one in my heart.

_tmp_amn_pic_55_45_0

[1]
c0 Fr John Riccardo, pastor at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Plymouth, MIFr John Riccardo is pastor at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Plymouth, MI. He hosts "Christ is the Answer" on Ave Maria Radio on Wednesday's at 8pm. This block is quoted from this blog >.

[2]
"Offense" is also translated "scandal" or "stumbling block." Here are a couple more translations:

11 But I, brothers, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish that those who disturb you would cut themselves off. Gal 5:11-12, WEB

11 Now, brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish those agitators would go so far as to castrate themselves! Gal 5:11-12, NETFree

Most versions translate "castrate" as simply "cut off." Yes, It is actually "castrate," according to a recent lecture I heard by Luke Timothy Johnson. Paul's words are interesting here; he's talking about circumcision, right? He's saying he wishes those guys that keep insisting on circumcision would go ahead and cut the whole thing off. He's angry.

[3]
You will often see a cross at the front of a Baptist sanctuary, or in a Sunday school room, on a plaque with a bible verse, for example; and of course around Easter, sometimes with a red sash hanging over it, reminding us that Jesus was once there, but no more. Often you'll see three crosses, a large one representing the one Jesus died on, and two smaller, one on each side, for the two thieves. It's more common now to see the cross on T-shirts, soda can cozies, and other pop culture items, even among evangelicals.

Started: 2012-08-24

_tmp_amn_pic_1_71_0
RIP Neil Armstrong, August 5, 1930 - August 25, 2012

c0 Neil ArmstrongNo one not around in 1969 can possibly understand the enormity of Armstrong's step onto the moon. It is second only to one other world-changing event 2,000 years ago. And it's a shame that the children covering the passing of a great man cannot begin to comprehend the import of their own words.

Interesting that Armstrong will share this date with Truman Capote. Coincidence, of course, but aside from my father, they are two men on a very short list of those I most admire.

[2012-08-25]
_tmp_amn_pic_35_84_0

No comments:

Post a Comment